We aim to enable as many visitors as possible to enjoy the unique experience of visiting Real Mary King’s Close. However due to its historic nature and layout, as well as to protect the health and safety of all our visitors, the following limitations and information should be noted:
- The Close is unsuitable for wheelchair access.
- Due to uneven surfaces and some steep inclines, sturdy footwear is recommended.
- There are a total of 58 steps to be descended and 38 ascended as part of the tour.
- The tour lasts approximately one hour.
- Many areas are dimly lit and some visitors may experience disorientation or claustrophobia.
- Because of the site’s underground nature visitors with asthma are advised to bring any medication/inhalers that they may require.
- Due to space restrictions we regret that we cannot accommodate pushchairs.
- For health & safety reasons children under the age of 5 years on our tours cannot be admitted. Visitors with children under 5 can book tours 1 hour and 15 minutes apart to swap over and allow both parents to visit. For more information please contact our Guest Services team.
- All children under the age of 16 should be accompanied by an adult.
- Visitors under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted.
However in order to encourage as much access as possible and to enhance visitors experience the following measures are in place:
- Real Mary King’s Close offers free entry for one-to-one carers accompanying disabled visitors.
- Our historic Burgh Court Room, The Royal Exchange Coffee House and Gift Shop are accessible via a gently sloped access.
- Within our pre-tour exhibition space there is a large scale model of Mary King’s Close and upon request staff will be pleased to answer any questions and explain the site.
- Tour guides are equipped with radios so any visitor needing to leave during a tour may do so being escorted by Duty Manager.
- Audio guides are available for no charge in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish – pre-reservation is required. The Audio Guides give an overview of the attraction and do not give a word for word character guide interpretation of the tour experience.
- A copy of our leaflet text is available in large print by request.
- There are two accessible toilets on site.