What is The Real Mary King’s Close?
How is it that streets that were once the bustling heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town came to be sealed off and hidden from sight? Be transported back to 17th century Edinburgh as our costumed character guides lead you through uniquely preserved streets and houses. Marvel at how different life would have been for the people of Edinburgh when these streets were open to the skies.
Your visit to The Real Mary King’s Close
- Arrive in plenty of time before your tour slot to discover our exhibition area and find out more about life on the Closes
- Meet your guide who will transport you back in time. From maid to the merchant, plague cleaner to poet and even the daughter of Mary King herself, each character offers a unique perspective of day to day life on the Close
- Descend the steps and marvel at the stories of past residents. Imagine how their lives would have been
- Relive the plague and wonder at ghostly goings on, inseparable from historic events
- Discover Mary King’s Close itself, the perfect place for a unique photo opportunity
- Finish your tour in the Mary Kings Coffee House – you’ll have worked up an appetite!
Book your journey back in time today and get ready to be amazed by this authentic window into Edinburgh’s fascinating past.
Plan your visit – find out about opening times, prices and accessibility
FAQs – find the answers to those burning questions
Book your visit – avoid the queus and book your tour online now